Job title: Malaria Technical Advisor
Job ID: 2016-1083
Position Location: Country : Cambodia
Position Location: Country : Cambodia
Based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Up to 10% international travel
Reports to the Country Representative, PSI - Cambodia
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
For over 25 year, PSI Cambodia, and its independent network member Population Services Khmer (PSK) have worked to harness the power of the private sector to improve the health of the poor and vulnerable. From social marketing campaigns for Number One condoms, supporting the Royal Government of Cambodia’s (RGC) 100 percent Condom Use Program, to the development and scale up of the Sun Quality Health Network across the country that offers a full range of reproductive health services, this organization is on the cutting edge of health innovation and impact. Health programming now includes HIV prevention, reproductive health and family planning, and child survival (diarrhea prevention and treatment and pneumonia treatment). Things get even more exciting when we talk about the malaria programming!
The Cambodian National Malaria Control Program, CNM, has just launched its Malaria Elimination Action Framework, targeting nationwide malaria elimination by 2025. Through a mix of targeted and phased interventions, Cambodia and its partners will race to eliminate malaria in Cambodia and across the Greater Mekong Subregion, in light of the increasing threat of malaria drug resistance. And PSI and YOU have a key role to play!
PSI Cambodia’s Malaria Technical Advisor is responsible for leading technical and overall management efforts of PSI’s rapidly expanding portfolio of malaria programs. Current projects include a cutting edge research program to examine drug resistance and elimination strategies in plantation workers; provision of early diagnostic and treatment services; a quality assurance program to improve malaria case management in the Cambodian private sector. Supplemental funding will focus on the integration of health areas (malaria, early childhood illness, nutrition, reproductive health) and surveillance, using a newly developed phone application for real-time case detection and reporting.
We are looking for a Malaria Technical Advisor to help us build capacity of PSK staff and to lend technical expertise to one of PSI’s most complex and diversified Malaria programs. The Malaria Technical Advisor is required to demonstrate strategic thinking in a fast moving and changing epidemiological and political context. He/she is required to guide the program through new territory for PSI as Cambodia moves towards elimination and must be cognizant of several parallel large-scale initiatives at play. Maintaining strong partnerships with the national program and a seat at the table with the key donors and in-country partners remains critical. The Malaria Technical Advisor also offers guidance and assistance in the following areas: program management, financial management, human resource management, administration and logistics, and program evaluation.
Sound like you? Read on.
Technical Programmatic Guidance
- Provide guidance to MCS Director and MCS team in development, implementation and management of evidence-based programming that is in line with organizational best practices, national health plans, and platform strategic plans;
- Coordinate with appropriate PSI headquarters technical departments or regional teams to ensure that program activities follow best practices;
- Remain up-to-date and informed on global innovations and technical developments related to malaria, and relay that information to the program teams and Senior Management Team;
- Further efforts within PSK to align with the PSI global strategic plan, focusing closely on developing and progressing the integrated service delivery initiative;
- Support malaria-related research activities, including study design development, field work, analysis and dissemination, and set the example for evidence-based decision making and consistent use of data;
- Participate in the development of annual work plans.
- Play lead role in representing PSI/Cambodia with stakeholders, including NGO, multilaterals, donors and the Government at national, regional and global level;
- Participate actively in partner meetings, working groups and other coordinating bodies;
PSI/Cambodia at key strategic international engagements, serving as an
advocate for PSI malaria programming and elimination efforts.
- Support budget development and financial tracking of budgets with ASRs and monthly reviews;
- Support local team for procurement of commodities, technical specifications, packaging, equipment, and other items in compliance with multiple-donor and organizational regulations;
- Work closely with local team leaders to ensure the execution of relevant project deliverables, including complete and timely donor reports and achievement against targets;
Capacity Building and Institutional Development
- Support the local team in program management, budget development and monitoring, reporting and compliance;
- Strengthen the staff capacity to independently implement, manage, and improve technical malaria services;
MCS Director in continuous assessment of team progress, adjusting
technical inputs based on the needs required to meet organizational and
- Support the regional/global Malaria team in elimination strategy development, fundraising and advocacy and sharing of best practices/lessons learned from the region;
- Seek out new funding opportunities and lead or contribute to proposals.
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 5 to 6 years of experience managing people, budgets and public health programs.
- You have a relevant degree; MPH, MD, MSc or other preferred.
- You have experience working on malaria programs; DHIS2 expertise advantageous.
- You have lived and worked in developing countries, South East Asian experience desirable.
- You are fluent in English.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence stakeholders.
- References will be required.
What would get us excited?
Malaria Experience. You have worked in either a malaria control or elimination setting, and understand the complexities of program implementation, from prevention to treatment, and surveillance.
Capacity Builder: You have worked hand-in-hand with local governments, local partners, and critically, have been a part of a local team. You have offered technical support and guidance respectfully, and toward a shared mission.
You have experience identifying business opportunities for health or securing funds from donors like USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Global Fund.
You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care companies, or global health donors. You are able to identify new donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Cambodia.
A Strategist and an Innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
- Level 6
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.