A. INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING APPLICATION
Your completed application must include the following items:
1. The Application Form must be filled out online.
2. Personal Statement Form consist of several questions and an essay.
3. Two Recommendation Forms must be completed online (www.mmmf-grants.org see the application package requirements).
a. Both must come from professors or supervisors.
b. One form must be from a professor at your current institution and the other may be from your country.
c. One professor or supervisor must have known you for at least two semesters or one year.
Additional recommendations will be discarded.
4. Official Estimate of Expenses for Foreign Students. This document is available from the Foreign Student Advisor or Financial Aid Advisor of your institution. Highlight on the official university document the information that applies to you.
5. Recent Transcript and Registration. Transcripts are available from the Registrar’s Office. Please send us your most recent transcript and a copy of your fall registration.
6. Copy of your visa.
7. Copy of your I-20 or Study Permit.
Please mail all the items mentioned above to the MMMF office. Do not mail items separately. The envelope containing your complete materials must be postmarked no later than February 28.
- Applications that are incomplete or postmarked after February 28 are not eligible.
- Only recipients of grants will be notified by April 30. If you have not heard by May 15, your application has not been successful.
B. CONDITIONS ON ACCEPTANCE OF GRANT
Please note that grant recipients are required to sign a contract agreeing to the following constraints:
- If an MMMF grant recipient receives a grant from the World Bank Graduate Scholarship program in the same calendar year she receives an MMMF grant, her MMMF grant shall be rescinded.
- The MMMF expects the grant recipients to return to their home countries or another developing country within approximately two years after receiving their grants and then to perform at least two years of service in her country or another developing country. As a condition of the grant, the recipient will agree to make a contribution to the MMMF of the full amount of her grant if
a. she does not return to her country or another developing country within 30 months of receiving the MMMF grant or after completing her studies in the US/Canada; or if
b. she does not complete two years of service within 54 months of receiving the MMMF grant or after completing her studies in the US/Canada.
Please also note that grant funds that are used for expenses that are not required for enrollment (e.g. room, board, travel, research, child care, etc.) are generally subject to US/Canada tax and income tax withholding, even for non-US/Canada nationals. Only tuition and related expenses (e.g., tuition, required fees, books, supplies, etc.) are exempt from US/Canada tax and withholding. The tax treatment of grant funds may be affected, by the terms of a tax treaty between the recipient’s home country and the United States/Canada. For your specific tax responsibility, contact your advisor or your institution’s financial office.
MMMF grant payments will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s institution around June 1. Grant funds may not be used to repay debts or loans.
Applicants must be nationals of developing countries that are currently eligible to borrow from
the World Bank. The current list is given below.
Afghanistan Dominican Republic Macedonia, FYR of Senegal
Albania Ecuador Madagascar Serbia
Algeria Egypt Malawi Seychelles
Angola El Salvador Malaysia Sierra Leone
Argentina Eritrea Maldives Solomon Islands
Armenia Ethiopia Mali Somalia
Azerbaijan Fiji Marshall Islands South Africa
Bangladesh Gabon Mauritania Sri Lanka
Belarus Gambia The Mauritius St. Kitts and Nevis
Belize Georgia Mexico St. Lucia
Benin Ghana Micronesia, Fed. Sts. of St. Vincent & the
Bhutan Grenada Moldova Grenadines
Bolivia Guatemala Mongolia Sudan
Bosnia-Herzegovina Guinea Montenegro Suriname
Botswana Guinea- Bissau Morocco Swaziland
Brazil Guyana Mozambique Syrian Arab Rep.
Bulgaria Haiti Myanmar Tajikistan
Burkina Faso Honduras Namibia Tanzania
Burundi India Nepal Thailand
Cambodia Indonesia Nicaragua Timor- Leste
Cameroon Iran, Islamic Rep. of Niger Togo
Cape Verde Iraq Nigeria Tonga
Central African Rep. Jamaica Pakistan Tunisia
Chad Jordan Palau Turkey
Chile Kazakhstan Panama Turkmenistan
China PR Kenya Papua New Guinea Uganda
Colombia Kiribati Paraguay Ukraine
Comoros Kyrgyz Rep Peru Uruguay
Congo, Dem. Rep. Of Lao PDR Philippines Uzbekistan
Congo, Rep. Of Latvia Poland Vanuatu
Costa Rica Lebanon Romania Venezuela, RB de
Côte d’Ivoire Lesotho Russian Federation Vietnam
Croatia Liberia Rwanda West Bank and Gaza
Djibouti Libya Samoa Yemen Rep.
Dominica Lithuania Sao Tome & Principe Zambia
1818 H Street, NW MSN H2-204 , Washington DC 20433, Tel: (202) 473 8751, Fax: (202) 522 3142, Email: MMMF@worldbank.org